Mission: To enhance New Mexico State University's research funding.
Vision: To achieve long-term success by providing valued services to the NMSU community.
The Office of Research Development (ORD), formerly the Office of Strategic Initiatives, was established in July 2007 to support faculty and staff in successfully obtaining external funding for research, educational, and training activities. ORD provides university-wide, pre-award services that support faculty and staff in successfully pursuing and obtaining external funding, including:
- Center-level initiatives,
- Large multi-disciplinary or multi-institutional efforts, and
- Individual faculty proposals.
Any NMSU college, department, or team of faculty and/or staff members may request ORD's assistance in identifying and pursuing external funding opportunities, whether targeting a federal funding agency, state agency, industry, or private foundation.
You determine what level of assistance you want from ORD. For large, center-level initiatives or multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional proposals, we encourage you to involve us early on so that we can help with the logistics of planning and organizing. The following lists our capabilities and spans the full proposal development cycle:
- Identifying opportunities.
- Analyzing Requests for Proposals (RFPs).
- Coordinating nondisclosure and teaming agreements.
- Providing proposal planning and coordination, including:
- Developing outlines, author guidelines, and schedules,
- Developing templates for obtaining input,
- Coordinating with partner institutions, and
- Ensuring RFP requirements are addressed.
- Technical writing, editing, and proofreading.
- Developing visuals for proposals.
- Reviewing proposals to ensure that all requirements and criteria are met.
- Developing newsletters, brochures, and posters for enhancing NMSU's visibility as a research institution.
ORD has developed and maintains a fully interactive, online database and portal as a faculty and staff resource. The Grants and Research information Database (GRID) is populated from grants.gov, fedbizopps.gov, SPIN, and other sites and, at the present time, has the following features:
- External funding opportunities.
- Contains upcoming opportunities NMSU can pursue.
- Allows search and export of solicitations.
- Lists all limited submissions and describes the limited submission process.
- Contains archive of past solicitations.
- Contains optional email feature for receiving new solicitations.
- Researcher profiles.
- More than 400 profiles added since initial release in May 2008.
- Allows search for collaborators by research interest, capabilities, college, department, name, etc.
- Internal funding opportunities.
- Contains information on current and upcoming VPR-funded research opportunities.
- Contains proposal writing resources.
- Lists agency-specific guidelines, formats, and templates.
- Contains boilerplate information.
ORD coordinates limited submissions and teaming agreements.
Please ensure that you inform ORD (email@example.com) if you intend to submit a proposal that has a limit on the number of submissions per institution or if you intend to team in an exclusive or nonexclusive agreement.
- Sudha Murthy, Director (firstname.lastname@example.org, 575-646-9279)
- Hamid Mansouri Rad, Proposal Development Specialist (email@example.com, 575-646-6429)
- Judy McShannon, Proposal Development Specialist (firstname.lastname@example.org, 575-646-5662)
- Gabe Rivera, Proposal Development Specialist (email@example.com, 575-646-3110)